How to Enable Soft Keys on Android: Soft keys (also known as Navigation Bar or Nav Bar), was introduced on the Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich devices, first on the Google Nexus 4. Soft keys are basically the on-screen keys which most of the Android devices come with nowadays. Also, lately we have been seeing the Android OEMs providing an in built option to enable the soft keys. You can find that soft key button on Android in your settings.
Soft keys are hidden in most of the old Android devices(2015 and before). In case you have got an old Android device, you might be in luck as you can install soft keys on your Android device. This can be real useful specially for Samsung users as Touchwiz does not come with a navbar support. So basically you’ll also be able to enable soft keys on Samsung devices.
In this post, we will see the different ways to enable soft keys it on Android on rooted as well as non-rooted devices. Let’s proceed with how to enable soft keys on Android.
How to Enable Soft Keys on Android
Method 1 – Using ES File Explorer (For Rooted Devices)
- To enable soft keys, you need to edit the build.prop file. Please perform the below actions carefully as it can damage your device if anything goes wrong.
- Download and Open ES File Explorer app.
- Go to /system. Copy the build.prop file and paste it in the SD Card. Now we have the backup of the build.prop.
- Again, go to /system and tap the build.prop file. Select ‘ES Note Editor’ option.
- Click on overflow menu at the top and select “Edit”.
- Add the following lines at the end
- Press back button and select “Yes” in the confirmation message.
- Reboot your phone.
Now you’ll be able to see soft keys on your Android device. You can disable them by removing the code from the build.prop file. Alternatively, the navbar can also be disabled at any time by changing the value 0 to 1 using the below line.
Method 2 – Using Xposed Module GravityBox (For Rooted Devices)
If you have Xposed framework installed on your device, then you can use the GravityBox xposed module to enable the soft keys. Below are the steps –
- Install GravityBox module as per your Android device version.
- Go to Navigation bar tweaks.
- Enable the Master switch.
- That’s all. Reboot your phone and you can see the navigation bar on your handset.
After reboot, Go to Navigation bar tweaks in GravityBox module. There you can see many options to customize the navigation bar. I suggest you toplay with the options and customize soft keys as per your wish.
Enable Soft Keys on Android without Root
- Install and open the app.
- At the first run, it will take you to the Accessibility. Enable it for the app.
- Further, this app has a lot of customization options. You can use them to customize the navigation bar as per your preference.
We hope that you enabled on screen navigation keys. In case of any queries, put them in the comments section. We’ll help you out.